City Tales Series/The Song Of The Vagabond


Come my pigeons, hear my story
It is sad and maybe corny
Sitting here it doesn't matter
In this balmy city weather

Take my words high when you fly
I can curse whisper and cry
Sing them front of that window
Tell that woman I'm in limbo

Let me pay you with breadcrumbs
Feathered messengers of bums
People always turned away fast
Pigeons listen while the crumbs lasts

Where should I start where should I end
What can I say that would mend
A broken song, a broken life
To make a shuttered woman smile...

I didn't have much to start with
Wasn't rich but wasn't starving
I always found food and beds
Gave love for cigarettes

My blue eyes made women weak
I learned to be the one they seek
I lied and cheated on so many
I never wanted to be ready....

For anything more than romance
On silk clad beds framed with valance
Just left a brave one for trying
She thought she could teach me flying

I ran from words I never heard
Pleased those treated me like dirt
I could say now I was blind
To see her warm and open arm...

As a trap for free thinkers...
Fragrance of rose petals lingers...
Is this where a foolish man sits
Down on his luck out of his wits

I wish there was a medicine
To wash a grown man of his sin
I talk to pigeons and see God
Not to think of wasted love


My polished shoes a testimony
I'm still part of humanity