City Tales Series/The song of the lover


There is a child hiding inside
After tonight she crawled out and cried
The woman said to close my eyes
Singing ancient lullabies

If you say you love me truly
Writing songs to make us happy
Want to stay then why you went
Did you worry about rent

Or did you comfort an old lover
To make her smile and leave me shiver
Did you whisper our words to her
Through a night of careless pleasure

Or did you cry walking the streets
Sparing comfort, wrinkled sheets
Did you run while God has spoken
To collect my heart as token

Or created a new bond
Redeemed the old vagabond
Found yourself on well worn path
Searching for things that might last

Did you want your precious freedom
To roam alone in your kingdom
Forgetting words meant so much
No more thinking when you touch

Will I ever know the truth
Would it sound good will it soothe
An old wound ripped up afresh
Should you follow your heart or flesh

Then I saw the great irony
The weeping child is really just me
Maybe again I'll forget
This night of ink and cigarette

But I thank my inner kid
Without her I can't forgive
Its a verse of simple rhymes
Sometimes its hard to be wise

Will you wake me in the morning
Or once again I will be mourning
With snotty nosed kid by my side
A love that not yet seen full light

I leave a light always on
Through the fog to guide you home