The Tale of the Poet

Don’t know the science of rhymeBut listened to the poets cry
Truth has its own strong melody
Didn’t dissect Yates, Mallory

Last time I learned poetry
Foreign tongue read it to me.
My ancestors lived those words,
Drinking bulls’ blood, fighting Turks.

As young as I might have been,
I was led here by a dream
Of open spaces and red dirt
The land of a huge flightless bird.

They say well before you write
Better tame your dual heart
To feel all words of your new land
Or no one will understand.

Before it speaks it must crawl,
You can become a sad toll
Despite all the sun and richness
Most fall from acute homesickness.

Nights of rest and daytime duties
My dreams were all silent movies
Dreaming reflects all your actions
They came to me with the captions.

Waning, going at one far end
The Moon waxed above my red land.
For years I felt the two phases
I spoke broken, new learned phrases.

Paying dues or raising children
Big words just remained unspoken.
Played with fire when yearned water
My artist friend was a waiter.

My boat of love would never sink
But it drifts without the wind
Some days I can be left speechless
I take a breath, no more, no less.

You’d love more a renegade
Than listen to words on parade
When you ask your heart to listen
You believe the phoenix risen.

Let me repeat words mean much
No rules of the truth as such…..
Read me with wine and Chopin
Keep me move my restless pen.

I just write and let you measure
In units of pain and pleasure
How much my loaded pen weighs?
Is it your heart my rhyme raids?